Whether you’re short on time or are on the lookout for easy hints and tips to make styling your hair easier, we’ve rounded up our top ten hairstyling hacks to help you save on time and effort!
1. For flowing boho waves, braid your hair when it’s wet. Separate into two sections and plait each one, securing with a hair tie. Release them in the morning and run some texturising spray like EIMI Ocean Spritz through your waves for the ultimate beach babe look.
2. If you want curls or waves pronto, split dry hair into between four-six sections and braid each (the most sections, the more defined your curls will be). Next, run straightening irons over each braid, holding them in place for around 6 seconds as you move down each section. Release your hair from the braids and mist with hairspray to keep your curls in place.
3. While we’re on the topic of curls, if you want a more voluminous result, pull your hair back into a ponytail and split it into four sections.Wrap each section around a large barrelled tong (we love the ghd Curve Soft Curl Tong) and hold for 6-8 seconds. Release your ponytail et voilà: beautiful curls in under five minutes! Just remember to spritz some heat protection over your locks first to prevent damage.
4. Braids are great but twists are a hot trend for SS15 and are so straightforward to achieve. If you’re struggling with how to style your barnet in the morning, start by spraying Designline Texture Tousle Flexible Finisher onto the lengths before separating hair into two equal sections and wrapping them around each other, leaving an inch spare at the end and securing with a hair tie. If strands fall loose as you go, leave them – it’ll add to the style’s relaxed, effortless vibe.
5. Trial shorter styles on long tresses with a chic faux bob. Curl a few random 2-3 inch strands of hair before tucking sections under themselves and pinning them into place at the nape of your neck. Let shorter layers hang loose for a natural-looking finish.
6. For natural-looking curls, the key is what our stylists call “root-drag.” This is where your leave the hair above your cheekbone curl-free – so don’t take your curling tongs any higher than this point and you’ll have a much more modern finish.
7. If you suffer from stray flyaways throughout the day, mist a strong hold hairspray like TIGI Bed Head Maxxed Out Massive Hold onto your hands and use your fingers to work it through your hair to make sure it gets into the depths of your layers instead of just limiting it to the top layer.
8. Another frizz-busting tactic is to make sure you pat your hair dry with a towel when it’s wet. Don’t ever rub it – not only does vigorous rubbing create frizz, it can weaken the hair leaving it more prone to breakages.
9. Comb your conditioner through to make sure it reaches every strand. Choose a Tangle Teezer for even gentler smoothing and easier detangling to prevent snapping strands. Another quick tip – stop product building up in your Tangle Teezer by gently scrubbing it with an old toothbrush and soap once a month to clean right into the bristles.
10. Know you’ll be in a rush in the morning and won’t have time to wash and dry your locks? Spray dry shampoo into your roots the night before and massage it in to leave it to get to work, reviving your hair.
And as a bonus hair hack, here’s how to make a feature of your baby hairs – a hot trend for autumn/winter 2015:
Grab a gloss spray and a toothbrush or old makeup brush. Run the toothbrush around your hairline to release the baby hair strands. Spritz with gloss spray and use the brush or your finger to tease them into a finger curl or figure of eight.
(Images, from top to bottom: Monkey Business Images/REX; Broadimage/REX; Kieron Fowles/Supercuts; Startraks Photo/REX; Tangle Teezer; David Fisher/REX)