Here’s all the hairstyle inspo you’ll need when it comes to making a great first impression at Uni.
There’s no denying that starting university can be a stressful time of year. There’s the hectic moving-in day, awkwardly trying to make friends with anyone and everyone who smiles at you, rushing around trying to find your lecture rooms – and then there’s actually the part where you have to buckle down and get on with your work.
With a jam-packed schedule of trying to balance lectures with a crazy social life, it’s easy to forgo trending hairstyles in favour of basic (and quite simply, boring) looks. But let’s face it, nobody turns their head for an unexciting style, and Uni is all about making a good first impression, right? So our top tip? Be adventurous, try out different styles and reinvent a new look that suits your overall style and personality.
We’ve already established you’re going to have a busy schedule, which is why it’s key to have an easy hair routine for those busy mornings (and nights). Whether you’re heading to your halls for the first time or going into third year, we’ve got those insta-worthy hairstyles that’ll see you from the lecture hall straight to the £1 drinks. The best part about these hairstyles though is they can be created in just a few minutes.
Keep reading to find the best go-to hairstyles for each phase of freshers week as well as your day-to-day Uni life.
Moving in day
Moving in day can be a bit chaotic but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be looking on point. The key to this day is comfort, as chances are you’re going to be squished into the back of your parent’s car with boxes poking at you left, right and centre. Opt for a cool and casual vibe that’s practical and easy to create – like a half up ‘do with a twisted knot. Whether you’ve got long or short hair this style looks fabulous – it’s effortless and chic – and an updated version of the half up ponytail. And – if you go for some messy waves, it doesn’t look too ‘done up’ either so everyone’s first impression of you should be that you’re a chilled out fashionista.
Half up twisted knot
Get the look:
1. Add some loose waves using the ghd Soft Curl Wand
2. Allow a couple of minutes for the curls to cool down before teasing them with your fingers to create tousled waves.
3. Grab the top layer of hair and twist into a bun – ensuring the ends are pulled entirely through the loop.
4. Tease hair to create an undone, messy feel that volumizes the twisted knot.
5. Secure with a hair tie.
6. Pull out a few pieces to frame your face and finish with Paul Mitchell’s Freeze and Shine Super Spray.
Unfortunately, uni isn’t all about nights out and shopping with that student loan. Your early morning lectures require some clever comfort-styles too.
Let’s paint the picture. You’ve managed to crawl out of bed, shower off last night’s boozey aroma and you’ve even managed to get your textbooks packed and ready when you think: ‘WTF do I do with I do with my hair?’ Our stylists suggest keeping your hair simple for lectures – all that head scratching and trying to write your lecture notes at lightning speed requires something that isn’t going to get in your way. We recommend a simple ‘messy’ ponytail that triumphs second-day hair, as it’s quick and easy to do. And trust us, this isn’t a cop out! There are a tonne of ways you can make it look ‘different’ to the usual – and dare we say it – ‘boring’ ponytail. Our fave reimage of the ponytail is the ‘Second-day Pony’:
Get the look:
1. Add some loose waves using the ghd Soft Curl Wand.
2. Allow a couple of minutes for the curls to cool down before brushing them out to create ‘lived-in’, natural waves.
3. Pull all your hair up and fasten it with a hair tie at the centre of the back of your head. Optional: add a second hair tie for extra height.
4. Take a 1-inch section of your hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the base of the ponytail to hide the hair tie(s) – discreetly secure with a bobby pin (or two).
5. Put your head down and scrunch some of Redken’s Curvaceous Full Swirl into the ponytail – the upside down motion will help add lift and volume.
6. If you’re a fan of face framing strands like us, pull a few out around your forehead’s hairline to complete your messy, unrefined and second-day look.
7. Finish the look with ghd’s Final Fix Hairspray.
Now it’s time to get your glam on! This is probably the part every fresher looks forward to most: the nights out. You may have bonded with your flatmates already, but finding your night-out bffs is a whole different ball game. If you want to absolutely slay your first impression when meeting new people, you need a hairstyle that’s going to grab attention. You’re in a new city, with new people – and it’s the perfect time to reinvent your look or try something new. Give yourself a confidence boost with a new hairstyle and live your best life! No matter your hair length, nothing says a night out like sleek, polished waves teamed with your killer outfit. Our stylists are defo #teamwaves all the way, but the key to perfecting this look is healthy hair that’s shiny and hydrated.
Get the look:
1. Prep dry hair with a light mist of ghd Curl Hold Spray to give your curls long lasting hold.
2. Use the end of the ghd tail comb to create a centre parting (they’re so in trend this season) – use your nose as a guide to create the perfect line working back towards the crown.
3. Section your hair from ear to ear and clip away the top section.
4. Grab your favourite tong (or wand) – for classic curls we love the ghd Curve Classic Curl Tong – twist-wrap 1 inch sections of hair around the barrel (hold for 5 seconds before slowly releasing) to create structured and defined curls.
5. Repeat curling throughout.
6. Once hair has cooled down, brush through using ghd’s Detangling comb.
7. Finally, finish with TIGI Bed Head’s Headrush Shine Spray. Our stylists LOVE the glam shine you get with this product – don’t forget that a little goes long a way.
If curling your mane fills you with dread, or you don’t fancy working out your arms before a night out, you can walk straight into one of our salons and one of our friendly stylists will get you glam-ready in no time at all.
It’s pretty much guaranteed that whether or not you’re a drinker, nights out can leave you feeling pretty worse for wear the next day. The thought of washing out last night’s hairspray alone can make you weep 😩.
If you’re lucky enough to have no commitments the following day then win-win for you(!). You can stay in your PJs all day, watch Netflix and upload some of your #aboutlastnight pics to the ‘gram.
But, if you really need to leave the house then we’d recommend a quick and easy hairstyle like Molly-Mae’s famous bun. It’s so sleek, perfect for greasy roots and a clever way to hide the effects of the night before.
Get the look:
1. Brush out your mane, and apply EIMI’s Volume Dry Shampoo around your roots, allowing it to soak up grease and inject a bit of life and body.
2. Prep the lengths of your hair with TIGI Bed Head’s Superstar Queen For A Day Thickening Spray Mousse to give it some more body and grip.
3. Comb through your hair ensuring it’s all smooth and begin twisting and wrapping your hair on the crown of your head.
4. Hold it all in place at the top of your head, and secure it with an Invisibobble Slim Crystal Clear hair tie.
5. Fluff and tease your bun to create Molly-Mae style volume and secure with grips if needed.
6. Finish up with Fudge’s Skyscraper Extra Hold Hairspray – that’ll last all day.
Don’t forget all Supercuts salons offer a student discount of 10% on services Monday – Friday*
Wednesdays are a little special however, as we give you a bit of *extra* love by increasing the discount to 15% when you spend £20 or more on services*!